Sunday, February 14, 2010

bad company

Until 2 weeks ago, I hadn't been to the dentist in somewhere between 5-10 years. I figured I was good, since my dad has really good teeth and he never goes. Plus, I had never a cavity. Turns out, waiting a decade between dentist trips isn't such a hot idea. I had 4 cavities and apparently, my 4x a year flossing habits didn't quite cut it. I ended up with some crappy gingivitis and periodontal disease. Which the later is code for Eastern Kentucky. It's basically a result of never flossing and your gums get hacked off and eventually deteriorate, causing tooth loss. I floss almost everyday now.

Anyway, all that to say, the dentist experience got me thinking. If I had been jacking my mouth up this long and never realizing it, what was I doing to the rest of my body? I began figuring out how much weight I needed to lose to be "healthy". It's right around 100lbs. WHAT???!?!?!?!? bleep, bleep, bleeeeeep.

I doubt I'll ever lose 100lbs, but I need to lose weight regardless. and a LOT of it. I would have to lose 40lbs just to get to the weight I was when I got married, which was just a mere 2 1/2 years ago. And I was fat then too. ugh.

So on the 3rd of February, I began eating better. Not amazing. But better. And I have dramatically lessened the amount of soda intake I was consuming. And overall, lessened the amount of calories I'm having been shoveling down my throat. And I started working out. Not everyday. But some. And I started Zumba classes yesterday. And as of this morning, I have lost 6lbs. Which, in the grand scheme of things, is like losing the weight of one of my earlobes or something. But 6lbs is still 6lbs. Just 94 more to go.... haha.

And for the first time ever, Isaac and I are on the same page. We're trying to lose weight together, eating better and staying positive. This has been VERY helpful.

The challenge will be (and will always be) that I am an emotional eater. I eat when I'm sad, when I'm happy, when I'm bored, when I'm nervous and I really eat when I'm depressed. And parties - watch out. A celebration is not a celebration to me without a bunch of food being involved. When I started talking about losing weight to Isaac, I told him that when I lost 50lbs, my treat to myself would be to buy some new glasses. He asked me what my "treat" would be for the first 5lbs or 10lbs... And I bit back with "probably a cheeseburger". I honestly do not know how to celebrate without food. And in the past several days, I have been going back and forth between "when" I lose x amount of weight and "if" I lose x amount of weight. Which are 2 totally different things. The if's are what's going to bring me down.

So, what are some good ways to "celebrate" or "treat" yourself for reaching small goals?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A pedicure sounds like a great way to treat yourself! Granted I'm not sure the last time I had one and you have to watch out for the sketchy ones so you don't get a nasty fungus ;). I know, a trip to North Carolina would be an excellent way to celebrate!! You could see us, LaBreeska, Heather and Jamison Williams, Mandi and Jason Cordel, and BJ, all in one trip :). Love and miss you, M! You can do it!!

... said...

What do you love and never seem to do for yourself? a manicure, a pedicure, a massage, a new book, go to the theater to see a movie, shopping, time to yourself, etc.

What do you hate and wish you didn't have to do? clean? - hire someone to come clean your bathroom and kitchen (seriously - that wouldn't even cost much for one visit, or I'll do it free when you reach your goal), laundry? - send it all out when you reach your goal, scooping dog poop? - hire a service for one day when you reach your goal.

I can think of more! =)

workinprogress said...

thanks, ladies!

Anonymous said...

hey, you can do it! it sooooo helps to have you and isaac are on the same page, i've been trying to get jimi on that page and it hasnt worked, its hard when your spouse is pigging out on pizza at 10 o clock at night and you are trying to be good. He now hides his junk food in his office, which doesnt help him. anyway, i'll be your buddy if you need me too, we can set weekly or monthly goals and if we meet those goals we can go shopping or something or go get that mani, pedi. or we could make it a competition. Whatever works. i have 10 more to get to my goal, but would love to actually lose 15-17 more. i'm proud of you for starting the journey and my advice is to ease into it and lose alittle at a time to make it healthy and to keep your sanity. love you !