Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I Want To Be A Clone

Back in the mid 1990's a friend in band class introduced me to the music of Steve Taylor. Quirky, eccentric, intelligent, Steve Taylor. His tongue-in-cheek approach to life and the truth of Christ blended in such a fashion that it shaped the way that I thought about not only Christian music, but God as well. Steve would eventually go on to produce numerous records and music videos (Sixpence None the Richer, Newboys, Guardian, Rich Mullins). He also formed the short lived Squint Entertainment and co-wrote and directed The Second Chance (which starred Michael W. Smith).

And while I have been a bad girl for not watching his movie, some of his songs have stuck with me since the day I bought his cassette tape at Family Christian Store. Somewhat ironic, since several of his albums were pulled from stores like that.... But songs like Jesus Is For Losers and The Finish Line and Cash Cow (which has to be one of the weirdest and funniest videos out there) are life changing to me. When I'm having a crap sappy day, I think of The Finish Line and how the Christian life is not some happy go lucky day trip. It gets hard, and you fall down, but you have to get back up. As the apostle Paul wrote, "I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself." - 1 Corinthians 9:26-27 The Message

While his music is out of print, you can of course, always purchase it on ebay. I would suggest purchasing both Liver and Squint. Click here to watch/listen to a 1994 rendition of The Finish Line at Cornerstone. And remember to run hard in the race. Don't give up. He didn't come for the well, he came for the sick and the broken hearted. The losers. You and me.

No comments: